Welcome to Refresh with Dawn Herring!

Welcome to Refresh with Dawn Herring blog. I'm so glad you stopped by to peruse the transcripts from #JournalChat Live and Links Edition.


You're also welcome to join our #JournalChat Live Facebook Group where we share quality journal keeping content for your journaling practice!


Have a fab day and don't forget to refresh yourself!


Be refreshed,

Dawn Herring

Refresh with Dawn Herrng

Host of #JournalChat Live on social media

Friday, January 9, 2015

#JournalChat Live Facebook Group Event with Special Guests, Naomi Arnold, Vicki Taylor and Rafranz Davis Your Journaling: Life Intentions (Align Your Work) Day 3 Part III


I like the point Naomi just made about finding the balance between our head and our heart in our work as we journal our way through and listen carefully to our hearts and not just to our head logic. There's a place for both, of course, but journaling helps us figure out what works and what doesn't and what is truly our authentic path in our work in the world.
5
Unlike ·  · 
  • Jill Winski I'm so in agreement with this. I have a tendency to be "up in my head" a lot, and journaling helps me connect with my heart & intuition. I think this is part of why I like journaling by hand -- it connects me with my body and gets me out of my head. 
    23 hrs · Like · 2
  • Vicki M. Taylor I agree with Jill. Journaling helps me Connect with my heart. Maybe because it helps me slow down.
    23 hrs · Like · 2
  • Dawn Herring Welcome back, Vicki! I agree with Jill too,
    23 hrs · Like · 2
  • Dawn Herring Jill, I love what you point out, the connection with body and intuition; it's amazing how journaling can help make that connection. Honestly, sometimes it's mind boggling!
    23 hrs · Like · 1
  • Naomi Arnold Ohhh yes, journaling is such a powerful tool for mind / body connection. And soul, too, as I think Vicki mentioned yesterday. 

    This connection can be so beneficial in the workplace - not just in general, but in stressful situations (e.g., interviews, 
    ...See More
    23 hrs · Unlike · 2
  • Dawn Herring Well said, Naomi
    23 hrs · Like · 1
  • Vicki M. Taylor Absolutely Naomi. You nailed it. Calm yourselfcc
    23 hrs · Like · 1
  • Honestly reflecting in our journals about our work in the world can be a challenge, especially when we have to reckon with something that isn't working. It takes courage to create positive change in our work tasks and relationships, especially when we're not sure what the best path is.
    But I think that's where the heart comes in; when we listen to our intuition and where our authentic path might lead, it can help gives us the confidence to take a step in the right direction, leading us to more satisfying and purposeful work lives!
    6
    Like ·  · 
    • Carter Matthews and 2 others like this.
    • Jill Winski Very true -- sometimes it is really challenging to stay with what comes up during my journaling! But I know if I do, if I can let the insights come through, I'll receive guidance. It's a practice!
      23 hrs · Unlike · 3
    • Naomi Arnold I love this Dawn. I have found with my clients who are experiencing confusion or lack of clarity around their path or purpose - that journalling has been a powerful tool to help them get clearer. It brings them out of the head, out of that paralysis by analysis, and into their heart and what they actually know already about themselves and what they want, and what door they could try opening as a starting point.
      23 hrs · Like · 2
    • Dawn Herring Indeed, Jill. And practice makes perfect, or at least imperfectly perfect! 
      23 hrs · Like · 2
    • Vicki M. Taylor Dawn. You are so right. Ringtones in our Journaling helps us reflect in so many other aspects of our life.
      23 hrs · Unlike · 1
    • Vicki M. Taylor Autocorrect strikes again
      Honesty in our Journaling
      23 hrs · Like
    • Dawn Herring Thanks for the clarity, Vicki
      23 hrs · Like · 1
    • Vicki M. Taylor Technology .. The Bain of our existence
      23 hrs · Unlike · 1
    • Special Guest Naomi shares: Ohhh yes, journaling is such a powerful tool for mind / body connection. And soul, too, as I think Vicki mentioned yesterday.
      This connection can be so beneficial in the workplace - not just in general, but in stressful situations (e.g., interviews, speaking, general stress) too. It can help pull you back into your core self, connect to yourself more, spot where those negative thoughts are sometimes coming from and what they're triggers are, calm yourself, feel more balanced or 'heard', and sometimes find or feel a way out of the tricky situations.
      **Pulling us back into our core self is essential, staying centered in Who We Are no matter what situation we face in our work place.
      Like ·  · 
      • Jill Winski and 4 others like this.
      • Rafranz shares: "I made a vow early on that if I were to reflect on my classroom, I would do it with both consistency and honesty"
        Reflecting on our work in the world, whether it's head logic or combined with the heart and intuition, consistency can be key to getting ourselves more easily and readily aligned, whether it's our tasks or in our work relationships and how we see what we do as we leave our mark in the world each day.
        6
        Like ·  · 
        • 2 people like this.
        • Dawn Herring Dishonestly will only slow us down. We need to Honor Ourselves with being truthful about Who We Are and what our Purpose is.
          23 hrs · Like · 2
        • Carrie Aulenbacher And Who we are, when we put down the weight we carry, is someone wonderful!
          23 hrs · Like · 2
        • Dawn Herring Indeed, Carrie! I love how you said that. 
        • Another really cool point from Rafranz: "Through journaling, I became an observer of my own learning environment."
          Journaling truly does make us more aware of our work environment when we take the time to reflect and notice how it influences our attitude, our outlook and our performance.
          You may notice when it's time to refresh things a bit!
          7
          Like ·  · 
          • Carrie Aulenbacher Many say they don't want to remember the bad things they went through today. And that may be true today, but somewhere down the road, looking back, a larger truth may reveal itself. When it does, journalers will have that written account to reflect on for perspective that others may have forgotten. It will always hurt to write some stuff down, and it will always be worth it.
            23 hrs · Unlike · 3
          • Dawn Herring Welcome back to #JournalChat Live, Carrie. Great to see you. And yes, it is well worth recording things that are painful, even if it's just to get it out of our system (which does make a difference--even scientifically!). But also insightful to help you remember where you've come from and Who You Are Now.
            23 hrs · Like · 1
          • Naomi Arnold So true Carrie! When I'm writing about painful experiences, I try to consciously ask myself what the 'lesson' or 'gift' is from it. I have found so much beauty and wonder in tragedy and crappy periods, and to be honest, that is partly what has helped me through them.
            23 hrs · Unlike · 2
          • Naomi Arnold I love this line from Rafranz's article Dawn. Being an observer of our learning environment, or of our life in general, what's working and not working - essentially being self aware, and then taking the next step and reflecting on what that means for future growth - is so vital to personal and professional development.
            23 hrs · Like · 1
          • Carrie Aulenbacher I've revealed patterns that helped me break free of bad habits too!
            23 hrs · Unlike · 2
          • Dawn Herring It can be hard to see the gold in a challenging or painful situation; I think I try to see how I can nurture myself the best way possible when these things happen. My journal helps me figure that out. 
            23 hrs · Like · 1
          • Pauline Harris I liked how Rafranz came to realize that journaling/blogging on the computer could be a benefit to more than just herself. I do still find that writing with the hand expresses something else than with the computer. A inner connection the computer doesn't get...maybe one day it will.
            23 hrs · Like · 2
          • Dawn Herring That was a point that truly hit home for me, Pauline, that connection between what we journal and what we share with others, and how that connection can grow and make a community!
            23 hrs · Like · 2
          • Naomi Arnold I like this too Pauline. I think sometimes this comes down to our intention. When we are using the hand and our journal - our intention is usually focused on self - self exploration, self growth, self kindness, self awareness etc. Personally, when I use my computer to write, it's more focused on other - how can what I write make a difference to the reader's world, what can I offer them, how do I want them to feel? Both so powerful for different reasons 
            23 hrs · Edited · Unlike · 2
          • Jill Winski What a great distinction, Naomi! I agree -- when I write on the computer it's more about connecting with others as opposed to myself ... hmm. Something for me to ponder. 
            23 hrs · Unlike · 2
          • Dawn Herring I feel the same way when writing my blog posts--what can my readers take away from this that will have the greatest impact for them personally and professionally-whether journaling related, artistically related or refreshment related.
            23 hrs · Like · 2
          • Naomi Arnold Oh yes Jill, a mentor of mine, Rachel from In Spaces Betweenonce said that every time before she writes an article or blog or resource, that she reflects on what she wants her reader to get out of it and how she'd like them to feel. I so love this - and think it makes your writing so much more powerful 
            23 hrs · Unlike · 3
          • Jill Winski Yes, I agree Dawn and Naomi -- I like to focus on how I want my beloved readers to feel when they read a blog post -- and on how I can serve them with my words. 
            23 hrs · Unlike · 2
          • Carter Matthews Naomi I like the part you are saying about how she "reflects on what she wants her reader to get out of it and how she'd like them to feel." I think that I do sometimes "reflect" on what I am trying to convey for the reader, but for most part I do get locked into writing about topics that I like. I mean, I do involve the reader but only to the point of my comfort zone, which can probably be really confusing for some people. I maybe need to just learn how to go with the flow every now and then to become relate-able and then maybe I can earn the reader's trust after which time then I can be able to express my own personal and true feelings where there would be some readers who would be appreciative and interested in reading the type of writing I had on display.
            23 hrs · Like · 1
          • Naomi Arnold Love this Jill - "how I can serve them with my words".
            22 hrs · Unlike · 2
          • Sarah Forrest Back when I was writing about daily events in my old Journals, I would read old entries and notice patterns about this very thing. It was therapeutic for a yr or so. My interests changed and now I'm doing something similar with my poetry.
            22 hrs · Like
          • Dawn Herring I like how you are Honoring Your Preferences in your journaling practice, Sarah. It's a reflection of Who You are and how you're changing and growing.
            22 hrs · Like · 1
          • Sarah Forrest It's good to be back to it!
            22 hrs · Unlike · 1
          • Naomi Arnold Oh Carter, you are amazing - I know this from what you have said over our days at #JournalChat. I love your writing style, your honesty, your way of expressing things, your uniqueness, and the vibe I get from you. Please don't ever feel the need to cha...See More
            22 hrs · Edited · Unlike · 2
          • Special Guest Naomi shares this question for us to ask in any situation where we are perplexed or confused: " if I was my best, most confident self - if I loved myself more - what would I do?"
            I find this question to be powerful, insightful and enlightening; it still takes courage to find that loving path inside ourselves, especially if that's not usually the way we make decisions, whether personally or in our work lives.
            Be gentle with yourself and also be bold.
            8
            Like ·  · 
            • Carrie Aulenbacher This is what I want to capture in this years journal...to love myself and be gentle. Some are not being gentle at the moment, and I must remember that I attract that which I send out.
              23 hrs · Unlike · 3
            • Dawn Herring Gentleness toward self is so key; it's so easy to just naturally be hard on ourselves, especially when it's work related and affects others. Our best is all we can do.
              23 hrs · Like · 2
            • Carrie Aulenbacher Just because others might be hard on you, don't get caught up in that 'outside' mindset. They dom't know you like YOU do!
              23 hrs · Like
            • Dawn Herring I totally hear ya, Carrie. It has to come from the inside.
              23 hrs · Like
            • Naomi Arnold This question can be used in almost every situation in life, it is so powerful. We would never treat our loved ones the way we treat ourselves sometimes. Reminding ourselves of this, of being gentle and kind to ourselves, is so important. I find that the more caring, the more giving, the more sensitive, and the more thoughtful about others you are - the more challenging that this can be for people sometimes. I like that this question makes us more conscious of being kind to ourself and trusting ourself more - especially when if this doesn't come naturally to you.
              23 hrs · Like · 3
            • Jill Winski I notice I am able to be bolder and risk more when I am kinder and gentler toward myself. 
              23 hrs · Like · 2
            • Dawn Herring Trusting ourselves is another key to a successful work life--we have to understand what undermines our self trust--where it comes from. Another topic of our journal to stay aligned with our work!
              23 hrs · Like · 2
            • Naomi Arnold Yes, I love this Jill. It's kind of like it gives us permission to do what we know in our hearts we can do, before the fear and judgement of our minds step in. Essentially, it encourages us to make choices from love instead of from fear.
              23 hrs · Unlike · 2
            • Jill Winski Exactly, Naomi! Well put.
              23 hrs · Like · 1
            • Dawn Herring Love instead of fear..one of the most powerful places we can be.
            Trusting ourselves is another key to a successful work life--we have to understand what undermines our self trust--where it comes from. Another topic of our journal to stay aligned with our work!
            Journaling can help us see where that lack of self trust comes in; why don't we trust ourselves in our work. What is holding us back? What do we fear the most?
            Journaing helps us find truth in our work lives. Liberating Truth.
            10
            Like ·  · 
            • Carter Matthews and 3 others like this.
            • Carter Matthews I love these prompts / questions you have here. I think I am going to use them later on tonight maybe.
              23 hrs · Like
            • Dawn Herring You're welcome to, Carter! Glad they can be a great resource for your later pondering. 
              23 hrs · Like · 1
            • Dawn Herring Anything that helps you find your greater truth is well worth considering and journaling about.
              23 hrs · Like · 1
            • Naomi Arnold These are great prompts Dawn  I'd like to add a couple to flow on from yours for people to ponder on... What is the worst that could happen if what we feared most came true? What is the worst that could happen if we didn't trust ourselves, and we let our lack of self trust hold us back? What would we miss out on? What is the most disheartening option between these two?
              23 hrs · Unlike · 2
            • Naomi Arnold And... What would we do if we trusted ourselves more?
              23 hrs · Like · 2
            • Dawn Herring Shared.
              23 hrs · Like · 1
            • Sarah Forrest I would say I fear that if I trust myself too much, I will make an un fixable mistake that I'll regret for yrs or that will affect someone else possibly close to me that I would never want to put in that position. I think I just journaled here! GREAT prompt! 
              23 hrs · Like · 1
            • Dawn Herring I think it's important to look back on where you've been to learn from anything you've experienced before, Sarah. It takes time to learn to trust yourself. It's great when you have others in your life who you can trust and who you know have your back, so you're not alone in making decisions.
              22 hrs · Edited · Like · 2
            • Naomi Arnold You're right Sarah, this is the scariest thing about trusting ourselves. The things that can go wrong, how difficult or impossible they might be to repair, and the impact they could have on others (especially when we're big hearted, caring types). 

              But with not trusting ourselves, there are MASSIVE consequences too - on both ourselves and others as well. And we sometimes forget to ponder on these too 
              22 hrs · Like · 3
            • Sarah Forrest  I tend to neglect myself in the process, Naomi.
              22 hrs · Like · 1
            • Sarah Forrest I feel for those who aren't as lucky, Dawn.
              22 hrs · Unlike · 1
            • Naomi Arnold Oh yeah Sarah, neglect is often a big one. And neglect, especially accumulative neglect can have major consequences. Sometimes it helps to just start with baby steps, smaller risks, and then gradually step yourself up to the bigger ones. What small thing can I do to trust myself more? What small thing can I do to be less neglectful to myself, to show myself more love and kindness, to make myself a priority?
              22 hrs · Unlike · 2
            • Carter Matthews Naomi I forget about the end part about not only harming myself, but it also causing havoc on others because they have to deal with our insecurities then (which is a whole other story to address for later on then, lol..)
              22 hrs · Like · 1
            • Naomi Arnold And how we treat ourselves often teaches others how to treat us too Carter. If we don't trust ourselves, if we aren't kind to ourselves, if we don't make ourselves a priority - others see and feel this, and sometimes reciprocate it. Once we start trusting ourselves more, making ourselves a priority, having boundaries, loving ourselves more - this can start to naturally flow on to how others treat us too 
              22 hrs · Unlike · 4
            • Sarah Forrest Naomi, I love love love these questions! Most people never stop to ask themselves anything like this. They just numbly live through the day, waiting for something to give them a purpose. The purpose is within them .They just have to find that. I just discovered this myself.
              22 hrs · Unlike · 3
            • Naomi Arnold Thank you Sarah  And I love what you've said here: "The purpose is within them. They just have to find that." So, so so true. It makes me happy to hear that you've discovered this 
              22 hrs · Like · 2
            • Sarah Forrest  It took me forever to Naomi. It's a been a long long road. I'm just glad I figured myself out before I didn't.
              22 hrs · Edited · Like · 1
            • Naomi Arnold Amazing Sarah, I'm glad you did too. 
              22 hrs · Like · 1
            • Sarah Forrest Thank you Naomi 
              22 hrs · Like
            • In Honor of Rafranz's post about Blogging having such an impact on her community as she shared her teaching experiences as a result of her journaling practice, and as suggested by our Special Guest Naomi, You are welcome to leave a link to your blog below. You can share the purpose of it and your latest blog post. I'll start with mine.
              11
              Like ·  · 

No comments:

Post a Comment