Welcome to Refresh with Dawn Herring!

Welcome to Refresh with Dawn Herring blog. I'm so glad you stopped by to peruse the transcripts from #JournalChat Live and Links Edition.


You're also welcome to join our #JournalChat Live Facebook Group where we share quality journal keeping content for your journaling practice!


Have a fab day and don't forget to refresh yourself!


Be refreshed,

Dawn Herring

Refresh with Dawn Herrng

Host of #JournalChat Live on social media

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

#JournalChat Live Facebook Discussion with Special Guests, Madeline Sharples, Debra DiPietro and Kelly Epperson; Your Journaling: Mind Magic Part IV


Madeline shares in her article: "Make lists of accomplishments or things you want to do in your day as you write."
When we are stressed, it's easy to focus on what is stressing us. Of course it's important to get that all down in our journals. But we can also use it to focus on the good stuff, like what we did well that day, or something that made us smile.
I think it's important to keep a balance between the negative and positive as we journal. This way we don't get overwhelmed by the stress and feel good once we've put pen to page.
8
Like · Comment · 
  • Madeline Tasky Sharples I try to do that most days. Although some days can be overwhelming with the bad.
  • Dawn Herring When you're dealing with grief of a MOM's magnitude, I could understand why, Madeline. You are a BRAVE SOUL in this world and a champion for journaling.
  • Sue Ekins I did that today about the things I wanted to do today. I've been busy lately focusing on hosting a big dinner for Easter on Sunday and then "recovering" yesterday. This morning I woke up and there was nothing concrete to do. As I journaled about this, I came up with a whole list and it added structure to my day.
  • Dawn Herring Isn't it nice when nothing is scheduled? I find that so calming. But I always have something to write in my journal anyway. 
  • Sue Ekins Dawn that's a great point "I think it's important to keep a balance between the negative and positive as we journal". Yes. We can't pretend everything is always perfect, yet we don't want to complain all the time either.
  • Dawn Herring That's why I make small list each evening with either an X or a * next to it to show the balance in my day. Painting, art journaling, walking and time with hubby are always a STAR in my journal. Any arguing, attitudes, issues, illness, or stress of any kind gets an X.
  • Madeline Tasky Sharples yes, it's important to find the positive things in our lives. I'm glad you found your list today, Sue.
  • Madeline Tasky Sharples I love how organized you are Dawn Herring
  • Dawn Herring It's something I've been doing since I switched to using Sketch books. There's something freeing about not having any lines. So I write lists, do mind maps, doodle and such. 
  • Sue Ekins Yes, Dawn, you could teach classes on being organized! You accomplish a lot in a day.
  • Madeline Tasky Sharples Perhaps a master class in journaling organization.
  • Dawn Herring Funny you say, classes. But the ones I'm thinking about are not about organization.  Master class in journaling organization. Something to ponder. 
  • Madeline Tasky Sharples That you do a check off every night is very impressive.
  • Dawn Herring It's just a natural way I've created to summarize my day and stay in tune with myself and my family, plus give myself a way to be visual with my daily doodle. I guess I never really thought about how much I do. It is a lot. 
    23 hrs · Like · 2
  • Dawn Herring But it all makes me happy! And Refreshed!
    23 hrs · Like · 2
  • Madeline Tasky Sharples That's part of doing what makes us happy - and calm.
    23 hrs · Like
  • Sue Ekins Dawn Herring and you're not stressed either, right? Journaling helps you do a lot without being stressed.
    23 hrs · Like · 1
  • Madeline Tasky Sharples For me, it's rather like relieving stress. I don't think the stressors in my life ever go away totally.
    23 hrs · Like · 1
  • Dawn Herring I laughed out loud, Sue. Stress? What stress??  I would say that journaling helps me keep my head on straight (in addition to prayer/meditation/study and painting/creating. If I didn't do those things, my life wouldn't have the meaning and pleasure that it does. It's vital to my well being That's why I emphasize it so much to folks.
    23 hrs · Like · 2
  • Dawn Herring No, I don't think they do for me either, Madeline. It 's really a form of resistance that we are feeling and life has to have resistance to have light. So it is always there; it's just a matter of how we respond to it. Either as victim or as Who We Are in our full empowerment.
    23 hrs · Like · 2
  • Sue Ekins It's so important to nourish ourselves. One of the things I did today was to go to our local arboretum with my journal. I stopped at the first spot to park and journaled. Drove along looking at the beauty, stopped and journaled again. It was soul-soothing and helped me clarify what I want my life to be.
    23 hrs · Unlike · 2
  • Madeline Tasky Sharples So right. We all have good and bad in our lives. We can't control it, so we work with it to get relief.
    23 hrs · Like · 1
  • Dawn Herring Congrats on taking time for yourself, Sue, and recording your experience.
    23 hrs · Like · 2
  • Madeline Tasky Sharples Such a good idea to be in nature when journaling.
    23 hrs · Unlike · 2
Madeline shares in her article, "Build your confidence by declaring who and what you are; e.g., I am healthy, I am creative, I have gray hair and I’m proud of it, I lost five pounds, I like what I see when I look in the mirror – write a little about one of those declarations."
It's so important to appreciate ourselves and affirm ourselves especially when we feel stressed. It's easy to get critical of ourselves when we are feeling inadequate or vulnerable in challenging life circumstances. So declaring Who You Are and loving yourself from the inside out is key. Journaling is the perfect place to do this!
9
Like · Comment · 
  • Madeline Tasky Sharples We have to appreciate ourselves because so many others are judgmental.
    23 hrs · Like · 1
  • Dawn Herring That's right, Madeline. I found myself wanting for many years to find others who appreciated me; so I learned to appreciate myself! And that makes all the difference in the vibe I put out now. Any outside appreciation is now icing on the cake!
    23 hrs · Like · 1
  • Sue Ekins That's true, Madeline Tasky Sharples. And another thing I'm learning as I get older is to limit my time with those judgmental people. There are other people who are more uplifting.
    23 hrs · Unlike · 2
  • Dawn Herring We have to learn to say no to toxic situations and do what is best for our well being.
    23 hrs · Like · 1
  • Madeline Tasky Sharples Me too. I don't have enough time left to be with people who tear me down.
    23 hrs · Unlike · 2
  • Dawn Herring I know you address aging in some of your articles, Madeline. I must say I'm impressed with how well you take care of yourself, and you look great too!
    23 hrs · Like · 2
  • Madeline Tasky Sharples Thanks so much. I think all that I do helps. I'm having a big birthday next month and I don't feel my age at all.
    23 hrs · Unlike · 2
  • Dawn Herring Well, good for you, Madeline. All that self care is fabulous. 
    23 hrs · Like · 1
  • Madeline Tasky Sharples Golda Meir asked, How old would you be if you didn't know your age? I think I did an article on that question.
    23 hrs · Like · 1
  • Sue Ekins I've recently realized I'm probably two thirds done with my life. If there are things I want to do, I'd better do them. That's why I recently rented Seasons 1 and 2 of Downton Abbey. I wasn't letting myself watch that show, because I knew I'd LOVE it. Does that make sense? I finally let myself watch it.
    23 hrs · Unlike · 2
  • Madeline Tasky Sharples Isn't that a great show. I've binge watch shows once in a while when I have the time. It's so relaxing and refreshing. Also gives us stuff to journal about. BTW, I'm well up there too, Sue Ekins and I still don't want to miss anything.
    23 hrs · Like · 1
  • Sue Ekins Madeline, I try to take care of myself, too. And I look for role models like you--other people, especially women, who take care of themselves.
    23 hrs · Unlike · 2
  • Dawn Herring I understand what you mean about the aging realization, Sue. That's why I paint and create so much. It makes my days full of pleasure. No time to waste.
    23 hrs · Like · 2
  • Madeline Tasky Sharples We're all on the same page. I just saw an article about a woman aged 100 who is having an art show. We should never stop doing what we love.
    23 hrs · Unlike · 2
  • Madeline Tasky Sharples Thank you, Sue Ekins. You're a wonderful role model yourself.
    23 hrs · Like · 1
  • Dawn Herring Wow, 100 and doing art. That's amazing. An example to me indeed!
    23 hrs · Like · 1
  • Madeline Tasky Sharples I'll find the article and send the URL to you.
    23 hrs · Like · 1
  • Dawn Herring Sounds delightful, Madeline
    23 hrs · Like · 1

No comments:

Post a Comment